Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Morale Booster

The babies got measured today. They are a couple of days shy of 29 weeks. I have seen many ultrasound images of them since they were 5 wks old, but my heart still skips a beat when I see them on the monitor. In the Chinese culture, babies are counted as one year old when they are born. This started, of course, in the pre-ultrasound ages. I do have to say that my ancestors were so smart. I have been in love with my baby boys since I knew that they existed. Yes, they were little alien looking things with little heartbeats, and yes, they might have been smaller than a grain of rice, but my love for them was there non the less.

After being on bedrest for 3 wks, I started to wonder what good all this time spent lying sideways has done for me and the babies. Well, wonder no more. The doctors carefully measured the babies (their head sizes, belly sizes, arm lengths, thigh lengths...etc), and concluded that Baby A is just under 3 pounds and Baby B is just over 3 pounds. 3 POUNDS!!!!! This means they are above average even in the single pregnancy scenario! No wonder my belly looks so huge (which my mom just can't seem to get over...she giggles at the sight of my belly every time I stand up).

This is probably the single best news I have received. It really makes every uncomfortable minute of my sideways stint in the hospital that much more valuable. This really boosted my morale. I think I can go a couple of more rounds if I need to after hearing how well my baby boys are growing. Now if I can only get wheel chair priviledges...

No comments: