Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bedrest at home...love letter to John

It's amazing how a wonderful, loving husband can make being stuck in bed, sideways, that much more tolerable.
John and I have been together since December 17, 1999. I've always known I picked a good man to spend the rest of my life with but John always amazes me in my times of need.
After getting home from the hospital, John helped me settled into bed, arranged all my bedrest essentials (laptop, cellphone, house phone, tv remotes, books, magazines) within arms reach and made sure I was comfortable and didn't need anything else. I made a grocery list, so soon after I got comfortable, John went grocery shopping.
Apparently, he bought lots of yummies. Without being able to go see what all he had acquired, I am surprised at the amount of goodies John brings down for me for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On Sunday, John made me a fruit and kefir smoothie before he went for his morning bicycle ride. After he got back, he made chicken fajita wrap for lunch. For dinner, he went and picked up Quiznos after running some errands. On Monday, he made scrambled egg and cheese sandwich. For lunch, since he was working and couldn't come home, he made me some PB&J sandwiches. For dinner, I had texted John that I was craving steak, mac&cheese, and veggies. After he got home, he came in to say hi to me and the babies in my belly, and disappeared for half an hour. When he came back down, he brought with him...you guessed it...steak, mac&cheese, cream of corn, and pork and beans. Not only did I marry a wonderful husband, he can cook too!! And not only did he make the yummy food, when we ate, he would make me laugh and help keep my spirits up :)
Tuesday morning was a little different. I was to have my glucose tolerance test at 9:30 which meant I couldn't eat any carbs 5 hrs prior to the test. Knowing that, I had requested John to made me some hard boiled eggs since they taste fine cold. So the night before, John boiled a couple and kept them in the fridge. He got up at 5:30 to get ready for his morning bicycle ride. And before he left, he brought me down 3 eggs, that were cooked PERFECT, by the way. I'm glad he brought down 3...since my doctor had to postpone my appointment until 12:30 due to baby deliveries. So I savored John's perfectly cooked eggs, drank some tea, and at 12noon, chugged the Glucola that tasted like slightly flattened orange soda (wasn't bad at all, like I've heard from some people...but after 3 eggs and unsweetened tea, the sugary drink was a nice change).
Dr. Lee remeasured my cervix, which now has shortened to 2.1cm. She told us it didn't look good and we needed to go immediately back to Cedars to check back in... and stay until the babies arrive... ugh... I wish I could have "served" the remaining of my "time" at my own home, but guess being at the hospital with nurses, doctors, and instruments around me would give John a peace of mind. So off we went, back to Cedars, but not before we went through McDonald's..hehe.
Even though my bedrest at home was short, it really showed me that John is just an awesome husband and a terrific dad (to his unborn children). I am so lucky to have the most wonderful man in my life. John knew that my priority was to take care of our babies in my womb and made sure that I didn't have to worry about anything else. I am truly thankful and in love with my dear husband.

1 comment:

Super T said...

Betty - is this real? because if so, I'm jealous. Oh BTW I'm engaged!!